3 Ways to DIY (Alone or with a little help)
If you want to be the point person for your lawsuit, the steps below may help. If you want to try to resolve the dispute before filing a lawsuit, you may want to consider mediation.
- Find the Clerk of Superior Court in your County: click here to find a clerk
- Figure out which court you should file your lawsuit in (Magistrate, State or Superior)
- Ask the Clerk which forms you need to file and the cost associated with filing a lawsuit
- Fill out all the forms accurately, sign and notarize as required
- Ask the Clerk if you have to take the documents to the courthouse or whether you can efile them from home (ask which efile system they use).
- Metro counties use Odyssey for efiling (click here for Odyssey home page). Sample instructions for efiling can be found here.
- You need to perfect service of process on the other parties in the lawsuit.
- Contact the Clerk and ask about next steps.
If you have questions about any of the steps above or what to do in court, you can schedule time with a Court Coach. Click HERE to book an appointment.